A SHELF-STABLE GUMMY BEAR RECIPE: Gummy bears a popular sweet treat which can be easily infused and enhanced with bioactive compounds such as nano-emulsified CBD, omega-3s and other health-promoting substances. We present you here a simple DIY recipe, which you can use to produce your gummy bears enhanced with nano-emulsified
- 8 ounces (227 g) granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons (27 g) sorbitol
- 8 ounces (227 g) corn syrup glucose, can be substituted by honey or golden syrup (however, corn syrup gives the chewy texture and keeps them nice and soft)
- 6 ounces (170 g) cool water fruit juice, wine or vodka can be subbed
- 44 grams (44 grams) KNOX gelatine about 6 packets (You can replace gelatine with agar agar if you would like a vegetarian/vegan option, but be sure to follow the substitution suggestions on the box.)
- 2 teaspoons citric acid (leave out if you’re using alcohol)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon candy flavouring e.g. raspberry, strawberry and lime
- Food Scale (Since measurement cups are not very accurate, a food scale is recommended. Otherwise, your results may not turn out right.)
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Gummy Bear Moulds
- Pastry brush
- Combine gelatine, and water (alternatively, you can use fruit juice instead of the water and leave out the sugar, which is added in the next step) in a heatproof container. Stir gently to combine, then let sit for 5 minutes to give gelatine time to gel / bloom.
- Whilst the gelatine mix is gelling, combine together the corn syrup, sugar, and sorbitol (sorbitol gives the gummy bears that perfect soft and chewy texture) in a medium saucepan. Stir gently to combine and let it simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once simmering, wash down the sides of the pan with water using a clean pastry brush to make sure any stray grains of sugar is dissolved fully.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in your citric acid, which gives the jelly babies its slightly tart flavour, the STUPH 2515 holding active, and gelatine mixture from step #1 with a spatula until gelatine is melted.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, so that the mixture can clear and foam will appear at the top. After 10 minutes you should be able to scoop the foam easily from the surface using a spoon. It is important to remove the foam at this point. If you don’t remove the foam, it will stay and can’t be removed later deteriorating the gummy bears texture and appearance.
- Add the STUPH 4525 concentrate to the mixture, then divide the mixture by straining the liquid into three (or more) bowls. Add to each bowl specific food colourings and/or candy flavourings.
- Spray the gummy bear moulds lightly with some oil, then turn them upside down on some paper towels to let drain out the excessive oil. Pour your mixture into your moulds.
- Let your gummy bears chill in the fridge at least for 6 hours until the bears are set (24 hours in the fridge are recommended for best results). Once the gummy bears are set, they can be stored at room temperature.
Serving: This is function of the size of your moulds – For approx. 20 gummy bears. For 5 mg active compounds (e.g. CBD) 200mg 2515 holding active are added at step 4 or 3.3ml of 4525 concentrate at step 6.
This gummy bear recipe is perfect if you want to infuse your gummies with bioactive compounds (e.g. CBD, vitamins, fish oil etc.), your own flavours and colours. The best part is, these do not need to be refrigerated. Like conventional gummy bears, you can put your home-made nano-infused gummy bears in a sealable bag for storage and snack them at any time.
For inquiries and more information
Please use the form below or send us an email to [email protected]!